Thursday, March 23, 2006

Yesterday was a real low ebb for me. As an educator, I have had a variety of experiences with my students. I have had great "aha" moments with my slower learners, and I have had some "ho-hum" moments, too. Yesterday one of my students was pulled from his home and put into foster care. Here is a kid that was really trying in school, had improved his grades slowly but surely, and was just an all around nice kid. Mom's live-in boyfriend was mistreating him. He came to school bruised and banged up where this asswipe had smacked him with a hammer handle.
Now I ask you, what kind of an S.O.B. would treat a 14 year old this way. He should be jailed and the key thrown as far away as possible. Mom should be kicked in the hind end for allowing this to happen, and not kicking the asswipe out on the street.
What is this world coming to? This child who has never hurt anyone is going through an experience that no child should have to endure. He came into my room and shook my hand and then motioned me out into the hall where he actually gave me a hug. This was a big move for a 7th grader. What could I do but wish him well, and send him off to something so scary that even I wouldn't want to do it.
After that day was over, all I wanted to do was enter my church and kneel down and ask the good Lord to watch over this young man and to please keep this from happening again to any young person. None of them deserve this.

No comments: