Thursday, November 03, 2011

What I Read #77


Shelter by Harlan Coben: This Young Adult novel is fantastic. Young Mickey Bolitar comes to live with his Uncle Myron Bolitar (who is an ongoing character of Coben's novels). He befriends Ema, a typical "goth" teenager and nerdy "Spoon," who wants so badly to be "one of the in crowd." Together, they go hunting for Ashley, Mickey's new girlfriend, who has mysteriously vanished.

Coben does a fine job making this novel both exciting and age appropriate, without being "corny." The dialog is up to date, as are the actions of the young people.

Though you adult readers probably wouldn't find this an interesting read, as a former educator and an avid proponent of reading for all ages, I would recommend this as a good read for any teenager, both male and female, though I think it would appeal especially to the guys.

Happy Reading,
JE

1 comment:

Curley said...

I think I would like this one.