Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Feel Like a Kid Again...NOT!

Today I feel like a kid again.. And not in a good way. Ever since school was out in June, I have been fighting an ear problem. At first I had an infection, but that cleared up with the help of some antibiotics. Then I found out that my Eustachian tubes are no longer functioning properly, (due to age) so my sinuses won't drain properly, keeping fluid behind my eardrum in my right ear. This could lead to more hearing loss than I already have, which is not good! So, today I had a tube put in my right ear. Now, with kids, the Dr. actually puts the child under mild anesthetic to insure that the child won't feel any fright, or discomfort, thus holding still. NOT in adults. We strong individuals that have this done, have it done with some numbing drops in the ear canal, then waiting for them to take effect, then the procedure. Which, I must admit, didn't hurt at all. It felt weird, but it didn't hurt. It took only about 15 minutes start to finish, and it left me feeling a little dizzy. They let me sit for a while until I was no longer dizzy, then I was allowed to drive home.
I asked the DR. if she did this often with adults, and she said, "Sure, almost every day." I don't know if she was trying to make me feel better, or was being truthful. She didn't give me a sucker afterward like she does the kids, so maybe she was telling me the truth. She did tell me that if the Drs. had been doing procedures like this 60 years ago, I probably wouldn't be having the ear problems that I have now.
Right now, I have a slight earache, and I can feel my heartbeat in my ear, but I can also hear the birds chirping outside and the ceiling fan running. Noises I haven't heard for a long time. So, even though I didn't get a sucker, maybe the procedure was worth it after all!
Peace
JE

No comments: