Saturday, October 09, 2010

Home Again!

What a wonderful month! Being with my brother was like being a kid again, only we didn't hit each other. We laughed, reminisced, belched, scratched, and probably farted a time or two. I think my sis-in-law felt outnumbered some of the time, but if she did, she took it very good-naturedly. I had a wonderful bed in their guest room. A California King, and I took advantage of the whole thing. My sis-in-law is such a great cook! She fed us well, and healthy. I ate things I hadn't eaten before. Like squash and pomegranate seeds. She made the best chicken alfredo pizza!
We went to see the Texas Rangers play ball one night. That was such a treat for me. I have only been to one other MLB game at that was years ago. We visited the old Texan town of Denton, and toured their historical museum.
Going out to eat was a treat. We went to "Babe's" restaurant. It's a family style place where you pick the meat you desire, and they bring you all the fixin's to go with it. They also do the "hokey pokey" in the aisles. My brother wore his tee shirt that said,"what if the hokey pokey really is what it's all about."
I had a lot of "deck time" in their beautiful back yard. My SIL is an organic gardener and the product of her efforts are beautiful and amazing. It was good to just spend quality time with the two of them without running to and fro. They both apologized for not taking me more places, but I was content to just be family and relax.
I am extremely lucky to have them. My brother is a brittle diabetic and has also had a heart valve replaced. He lets neither of these things get him down. He is fun and active. My SIL takes excellent care of him and has for 40+ years. They seem to have grown into a cohesive duo.
I got to visit with their daughter, my niece, her husband and their two little ones who are 4 and almost 2. That was a highlight.
The trip down and back was long. I drove by myself on the 18 hour journey. I was not intimidated by the big city traffic, but the semis by the hundreds on the highways of America are scary and dangerous. The drivers, for the most part, are good, and safe, but they don't cut the automobile drivers any slack. I think from now on I will fly. I added up what I spent on gas,food, and lodging on the way down and back, and I know I can buy a plane ticket cheaper.
Too soon it was time to come home, but in reality, I was ready. I was ready to get back to my family, my familiar surroundings and of course, my own bed! As Dorothy in the "Wizard of Oz" said,"there's no place like home."

Peace,

JE

1 comment:

Curley said...

I'm glad you had a good time. More importantly I am glad you made the trip safely. I sure missed you and can't wait to see you. Maybe on Monday as I am going to my parents on Sunday.