Thursday, October 14, 2010

What I Read #93


How To Talk to a Widower by Jonathan Tropper: Magazine writer, Doug Parker, a widower at age 29, is still reeling from the accidental death of his wife, Hailey. It's been a year and the rest of Doug's dysfunctional family think it's time he moves on with his life. His twin sister tries to fix him up, while she herself is hinging on divorce. His younger sister is marrying Mike, Doug's best friend, who she met at Hailey's wake. Thrown into this melee, is Russ, Hailey's 16 year-old son from a previous marriage. Russ's father doesn't want him, so Doug takes on the responsibility.
This funny, yet poignant story will have you in tears one minute, and laughing out loud the next. I felt close to Doug while I was reading. I could relate to his grief, and the feelings of complete loss. I could also go along with his wanting people to quit pitying him, giving him the meaningless platitudes and let him wallow in his own self pity. When, at the end of the novel, Doug finally finds out that he can love again, I applauded. Author Tropper did it again!
Happy Reading,
JE

No comments: