Friday, December 14, 2012

With a Heavy Heart

I, along with the rest of our nation, am with a heavy heart tonight.  The senseless killings of 20 children and 6 adults today in Newtown, Conn. has brought the nation to it's knees in prayer.  My heart goes out to all those who suffered loss today, and too, to those parents who suffered through the minutes until they found their children safe.  Unless we experience something like this, we cannot even imagine the hurt and the tragedy. 
I remember the fear that surged through me when I came upon a car accident on a nearby highway, noticed that the mashed up vehicle on its top out in a field looked a lot like my son's car.  It was!  But he was unhurt, thanks to seat belts and a roll bar.  So, I can relate to some level of fear that those parents of surviving children must have felt.  I cannot, in any way, imagine the loss that the parents of the murdered children are feeling.  I only know that it must be devastating.
My big question is what was the young man's mom doing with automatic firearms.  For cripe's sake, she was a teacher of young people.  What did she need with an assault rifle? 
There is no excuse for what this young man did.  I really don't give a damn what his problems were, or what his motivation was.  Who cares?  He had to be sick, but who cares?  I don't!  I only care about those poor people in Newtown.  How can they possibly overcome this tragedy.
I admire the law enforcement personnel who responded. What a job!  And they did it so well.
What else is there left to say except please remember these folks in our thoughts and prayers as they mourn.  May God be with them all.

Peace,
JE 

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I agree. Who cares what he was? He was evil. Even mentally ill have feelings... this is crazy.

momto8 said...

there isn't an explanation...too awful to even understand...out whole world needs prayers.

Jimmie Earl said...

I had a friend question a God who would let this happen! My response was we all have to fight Satan at every turn, some are not strong enough to do that. Then they make bad decisions. God cannot (or does not) control our thoughts and actions.
Not a very good explanation, but it did get the other person thinking.
Some things happen that we are not even supposed to understand. This is one of them.
My only hope is that something good, that we cannot foresee or even think about now, will come from all of this tragedy.