Friday, April 04, 2014

A Tough Decision

I had a quick doc's appointment this morning.  I started some new meds last month for an internal neuropathic tremor, and Doc M wanted to do a followup today. (Some success, but not there quite yet!)
When I signed in, the receptionist asked me if I was interested in a "living will."  I asked her to explain just what that involved.  It meant "no heroic life saving measures in a terminal situation."  If there is a chance for survival, everything that can be done would be done, but if, say in the case of a car accident, or a massive heart attack, etc, I was not going to make it, then, in other words, "let me go."
Since I had to make that kind of decision for my wife, who had no living will, and for my mom, who had no living will, but had expressed that she didn't want "heroic measures," I signed on the "dotted line" this morning.  This is too hard of a decision for a spouse or children to have to make.  Emotions are scrambled, and it's hard to think straight.  So, now the decision is made.  There will be no guilt or regrets for them to have to deal with. 
Now, I don't intend to use this for many moons, but it is now in place when the time comes!

Peace, (of mind)
JE

4 comments:

Terry said...

It was always hard to respond to a call and be advised by the dispatcher that the patient was terminal and had signed a DNR order (Do Not Resuscitate). All we could do was maintain an airway and administer O2 during transport to honor the patient's wishes. It was the best thing for everyone.

Anvilcloud said...

Yup. I have done this. It's the right thing to do.

Marcia said...

Me, too.

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Signing on the dotted line for this document and others is a sure sign of our non-immortality, but it does relieve the burden of decision-making for orthers.