Friday, April 21, 2006

Another Day in Paradise

It's finally spring! The jonquils are already done blooming and the lilacs are about to burst into their beauty. But, damn! the grass is growing. I hate mowing the grass. I love digging in the dirt, planting, and weeding the flowerbeds. But, I think I will hire a high school kid to do the mowing. In fact, I think I found someone today who is willing to do that nasty job once he gets the cast off of his arm!
Another thing I love about spring is going out for ice cream. Our local ice cream parlor, (and I mean local, as it is only 2 blocks away from our house.) has added several new flavors. The other night when we stopped, I told the owner that I thought I would start at the west end of the freezer case and work my way East!
With this humongous intake of ice cream, I should put walking on my list of things to do since the weather is getting nice. We have two lovely walking trails in our town, but finding the time to walk is nearly impossible! After all, I am busy weeding and eating ice cream.
I love hearing the birds sing. I love the warm breezes and being able to open the windows and air out the house. I love riding with the windows down in the car. When it gets a little warmer, we will put the top down on our old convertible and tool around town. I like to play the radio loud on some oldies station and have people smile and wave.
I love going for drives in the evening, and finally our state has adopted Daylight Savings Time, so we have plenty of driving time when I get home from work. Damn those high gas prices, though.
I love sitting on the screened in porch and watching the world go by. If only the teenager next door would turn his stereo down. I pray for his parents daily!
It is now time to go out and check out the flower beds, plan what plants to buy, lay in a supply of mulch and fertilizer. I wonder if the garden center has something that will keep the grass from growing so darn fast!!!

No comments: