Thursday, November 04, 2010

What Can I Say?

Things going on around me seem to be out of control. Things that are not happening to me, but to the people I love. It brings to mind a book I read years and years ago entitled, When Bad Things Happen to Good People. I just wonder why these things have to happen.

Curley, my very best friend in the whole world, is going through a very trying time. Her dad has been diagnosed with a brain tumor. He had some surgery and the doctors said there was no hope for him. The tumor was inoperable. He and Curley's mom decided to take him home where he could spend his last days in the comfort of his own surroundings. Though this has placed a load of responsibility on Mom, she said she would make it happen. He is failing day by day. This is hurting Curley beyond words. I feel her pain in my heart. I cannot make it go away, and I feel like there should be something more I can do besides offer useless platitudes. But there isn't. I can only pray that God hold Curley and her entire family in the palm if His hand.

Then last evening, Professor got an email from a very dear friend of hers in Alaska. He was sending it to let her know that he has survived a "pretty severe" heart attack. He's only 43. I know how much this man means to my daughter. I could see it on her face! Now, I again ask why bad things happen to good people. I want to say something comforting to Prof, but I am not sure what to say. I guess just being here for her and listening to her is as much as I can do right now.

I have been through the "trials of fire" these last three years. One would think that experience would be the best teacher, but in these cases, "I got nothing."

Peace,
JE

*Note: Shortly after posting this, I received word that Curley's dad passed away this morning.

3 comments:

Curley said...

God is indeed holding our family in the palm of his hand. And you do have something. The ability to just "listen". Sometimes there are no right answers, just knowing the fact that you are there, helps. Thanks

Douglas Vance Castagna said...

Sometimes listening is the only thing that can help us through. Being a listener myself, it is a gift to find someone who can return the favor. I am glad you found one who can be there for you.

Jimmie Earl said...

C is the BD,
Thanks for the encouragement and also for reading my blog. Blogging is a good outlet for sharing, whining, and just getting stuff off my chest. Thanks again for being there!

Peace,
JE