Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Rain, finally!

We have been in a drought here in Indiana all summer. Finally it has begun to rain. Not a lot, but some. Last night I was awakened by thunder an lightening. So I got up and went out to my screened veranda and sat and watched it storm. When I thought it was over, I went back to bed. While I was asleep early this morning, we had a terrific storm. High winds, and lots of rain. Lots of lightening and thunder. There was quite extensive damage around town, and in the county. Trees down, roof damage, and a pole barn north of town now has the roof laying off to one side of the building itself. I was lucky to just have a few small limbs down and leaf debris. Some of my neighbors weren't so lucky. We were, however, without electricity for most of the day. With an electric home, we couldn't cook, wash clothes, dishes, or our bodies (unless we wanted a cold shower,) and with the dark clouds, the house was pretty dark most of the morning. I had the coal oil lamps going and Prof said it was reminiscent of "Little House on the Prairie." I didn't mind at all. I was just reminded of my childhood in the country where we lost power all seasons of the year. Especially in the winter when ice storms came and took down lines, and the power company didn't get there for several days, not hours like now. It was just a fact of life for us. We built fires in the fireplaces and kept them going, and burned coal oil lamps (the same ones I had going today) and made do. We melted ice and snow over the fire for water to wash up with and we ate what ever we could cook over the fire, too. I don't think I'm any the worse for wear because of those times. Although, it does make me appreciate all the conveniences that I am blessed to have now. That was a different and more gentle time.
Anyhow, I digress, it did rain .9" today, and added to what little we have gotten the last few days, things are beginning to green up some. I noticed that the shaded areas of my yard will need the help of my mower come Thursday or Friday. And of course, the weeds are leaping out of the ground. LOL!

Peace,
JE

1 comment:

Terry said...

It's been a hot dry one in Montana too. I'm pretty sure it will snow this coming weekend, though. My friend Dan and I will be participating in the Little Bear School House Antique Show - It will be set up like an outdoor flea market - all those antiques with no protection but the Montana Big Sky - now you know why it will snow this weekend. ;0)
Terry