Thursday, January 03, 2008

The New Part-Time Job

Okay, Okay, Okay! I must be nuckin' futs! I cannot do this. This is so different from anything I have ever done, so far removed from the classroom and I felt like a total dumbass! I have never seen so many Excel screens in one place with so many numbers and names on them. The guy training me was super understanding, but negotiated around the different screens like a pro. Of course he is a pro, and he wrote the program I am using. He did all of this while answering two lines on a telephone, taking calls, setting up appointments, and dispatching drivers all over the place. Wow!
Now, one good thing I did find out is that I will answer very few phone calls, and do little if any dispatching. My job will be to prep the route sheets for tomorrow's drivers, make sure they have all the information they need, and have them printed out and in order of "appearance."
It was a lot to learn and absorb in one day. Tomorrow my trainer wants me to work the phones some, and book appointments, and still do all the Excel stuff. He said he would stand right there if I need him. I probably won't sleep a wink tonight!!!
When the day was over, Trainer Bob said "you did an excellent job today. I knew you would, or I wouldn't have recommended you for the job." So I guess all was not lost!
I am tired, hungry and sleepy.
Peace...
JE

No comments: