Saturday, March 26, 2011

What I Read #28


Bliss, Remembered by Frank Deford: Sydney Branch, 86, is succumbing to cancer. She invites her son, Teddy, to visit her to watch the Olympic swimming events with her at her home in Eugene, Oregon. While Teddy is there, Sydney shares her memoirs with him. She was an Olympic swimmer in Berlin in 1936. While there, she fell in love with a young German man. It was a love to last a lifetime.
From a small town on the Eastern Shore of Chesapeake Bay to Nazi Germany,
Bliss, Remembered spans more than half a century. A love story of the first caliber. My hat is off to Deford for this work. I will mark this as one of the finest novels I will read in 2011.

Happy Reading,
JE

1 comment:

Jimmie Earl said...

Mellodee,I know you said that you don't often read what other people recommend but, I'm here to tell you to rush to your nearest library or book seller for this one. I am almost sure that you will like it.
JE